Basic Handgun Handling and Marksmanship (BHHM) Series 1,2,3
Handgun Familiarization or
equivalent (subject to instructor approval) and must be legally capable of attaining an
Goal: Progress the student from Skill Level 2 to Skill Level 3-4.
Description: BHHM 1 is the foundation class where the student is introduced to the fundamentals of safe gun handling and marksmanship. It will be approximately 50% lecture and 50% live fire. The class will begin with a detailed lecture of the 4-rules and the Modern Technique and include an equipment review to ensure everyone is adequately prepared for the live fire drills. Specifically, we’ll cover:
1. Discuss the responsibly associated with gun ownership
2. Proper firing grip of the handgun
3. Proper shooting stance
4. 4-count presentation
5. Sight alignment and sight picture
6. Trigger control
7. Loading/un-loading the handgun
8. 3 positions of the handgun
The students will be practicing these techniques in fun friendly environment, where the instructors will offer suggestions and corrections. In BHHM 1 there is no time pressure, as this class is designed to ensure the correct mechanics are established.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of BHHM 1, the student will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the lecture materials by:
- properly executing the 4-count presentation
- safely loading/unloading their handgun
- re-loading their handgun
- satisfactory marksmanship at 5 yards
- demonstrate strict adherence to the 4-rules while on the range
Keep in mind that this is only a 4 hour course and there is only so much that can be covered is such a short time. The students are not expected to master these skills in the first class but, merely take away the proper mechanics so they can practice them correctly on their own.